Sunday, February 22, 2015

Meet Kelli Burgad

I was born and raised in Montana; a real Montana girl that loves to hike, fly fish, camp, and do anything that entails outdoor fun! I am fiercely independent and not afraid to adventure out on my own. I moved out the week after graduating high school. I was well prepared as I started collecting items for my own apartment from the time I was a freshman in high school. I am defiantly an introvert and need my alone time, but also find a great passion helping those in need.

I started my first adventure at Boise State University. Yep, the big BLUE turf! I was on track to go to Boise State on a Gymnastics scholarship until I broke my back. That ended my gymnastics days, but I still felt a commitment and connection to BSU. I have always had a love for kids, babysitting, coaching, and teaching pre-school; eventually gaining my degree in Early Childhood Education. I then moved to Vancouver WA to be closer to my brother, where I experienced my first job working with at risk children and families in a school setting. I fell in love with helping families but felt uneducated in the mental health side of things, so I decided to further my education at WSU Vancouver. Go Cougs! I received a degree in Psychology and Human Development. I did experience some of my own hardships, and that gives me great empathy and understanding when working with the families we serve.

I stayed home with my own two kids until they both were in school full time before jumping back into the workforce. My family continues to be my love and priority! I started with CASA almost 7 years ago as a volunteer while I was still home with my kids and timing worked out perfect as an employment opportunity opened up when my youngest was starting first grade. I do this work due to the great fulfillment it gives; there is nothing better than genuinely knowing you made a difference in a child’s life!! I am careful to include self-care in my daily routine so I can continue to be an effective advocate for our kids and supportive supervisor to my advocates, in which I greatly appreciate and admire what you each bring to our program. I keep my secondary trauma at bay by being very self-aware, practicing Yoga, enjoying yard work, reading, and spending time with my kids and their many activities. I also give great thanks to my wonderfully supportive husband and extended family that put up with my many quirks!

No comments:

Post a Comment