Sunday, February 22, 2015

Meet Wendy Lenz

Wendy Lenz, Interim Program Director of Clark County CASA
From an early age, I have always had an interest in advocating for children. Growing up on a competitive swim team, it seemed natural as a teen to mentor younger kids entering our local swim club. As a young adult, combining my love for animals and children, I volunteered for a program called Rancho De Los Animals, this organization offered the opportunity for children with disabilities to interact with all types of animals and ride horse back. My time as a volunteer guest host at Mt. Hood Meadows allowed me to interact with children on the slopes and I was a lunch buddy for a kiddo at Lincoln elementary.

I knew I wanted my career path to align with my lifelong commitment to supporting children, however I had a hard time finding the right opportunity. While working at the Volunteer Lawyers Program, I was introduced to the services of the YWCA. After inquiring about volunteer opportunities, I clearly identified with the CASA program, however, the pre-service training classes weren’t compatible with my working hours, so instead, I trained with and volunteered for the SafeChoice program. After a year of volunteering, I was hired on as a SafeChoice advocate. After multiple years of working at the Domestic Violence Prosecution Center, I set my sights on CASA once again. When a paid position came open in our program, I jumped on the opportunity and was fortunate to be offered the position.

 There is nothing more rewarding in the work I do than partnering with compassionate volunteers. This, coupled with the joy of seeing families heal, brings a sense of personal satisfaction that I’ve never experienced in past volunteer or paid work. The holistic connection with my community brings meaning to my professional and personal intentions. I am proud to be a Guardian Ad Litem for abused and neglected children and to be connected with an organization committed to educating, supporting and healing our community.

No comments:

Post a Comment